Proverbs 3:8-10 It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones. Honor the LORD with your wealth and with the firstfruits of all your produce; then your barns will be filled with plenty, and your vats will be bursting with wine.
This portion of Proverbs 3 includes two different elements within these three verses. First, we discover the reality that the righteous life is healthy and happy life. No are so happy as those who walk in communion with God. Second, we see that the heart of Christians mimic the heart of their God. Believers are to be generous, unselfish, and quick to distribute financial aid (or other physical remedies) to those in need. In the realm of grace, God so often rewards such cheerful giving with trusting His servants with more resources. All resources are God’s either way. Let’s be the best stewards of God’s money we can be.
- This passage contains two independent teachings [00:28]
- The life of righteousness lived in light of God’s wisdom is full of practical benefits [01:12]
- A merry heart does good like medicine [01:32]
- Sin is often the cause of poor bodily health and always the cause of poor soul health [02:00]
- True believers are those who are quick to give to others in need and genuinely unselfish [03:00]
- God loves cheerful givers [03:29]
- Luke 6:38 “…give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.” [03:33]
- What a blessed life it is to live as a Christian by the grace of God to the glory of God [04:19]
- The illustration of Mr. Money Love in Pilgrim’s Progress [04:30]
- Freely give what you have freely received [05:11]
“The life of righteousness, the life of trusting God with all of our heart, is a life that promotes health and longevity and good days.” [01:01]