Proverbs 3:21-26 My son, do not lose sight of these—keep sound wisdom and discretion, and they will be life for your soul and adornment for your neck. Then you will walk on your way securely, and your foot will not stumble. If you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet. Do not be afraid of sudden terror or of the ruin of the wicked, when it comes, for the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught.
We have six delightful verses before us in this episode, six verses that warm the Christian soul. And why? Because they so beautifully capture the foundational reality of the Christian life, that we have peace with God. Yes, we are no longer hostile enemies of God, but we now have peace with God. This peace produces such sweet effects in the life of a believer. With God as our Father, Deliverer, Keeper, and Guide we walk in His ways in safety for He is guarding our steps. Even in sleep we experience greater rest for God is with us when we lie down. The Lord is the Christian’s confidence all his days.
- My object this episode is to hone in on the reality that the Christian has peace with God [00:55]
- The root of a Christian’s comfort [01:10]
- Psalm 4:8 In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety. [01:43]
- Peace with God doesn’t come through our actions but through Christ’s finished work [02:18]
- Isaiah 48:22 “There is no peace,” says the LORD, “for the wicked.” [03:00]
- We did not always know this peace with God [03:10]
- Illustration of the brave miner [04:15]
“Yes, He’s a mighty deliverer. Yes, He’s a loving Father. Yes, He nourishes us and wraps us in the garment of peace. Yes, this is what our great God does for us. ” [04:00]
The illustration of “The Brave Miner” was taken from our growing database of child-friendly teaching illustrations for us in family worship.